Title: Principal Investigator E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1998, B.S. Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
2001, B.S. Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
2006, Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, MA, USA
The RNA-dependent RNA polymerases (RdRPs) play essential roles in RNA virus genome replication. The research in my laboratory focuses on the mechanisms of catalysis and regulation of viral RdRPs as well as the development of RdRP-based antiviral strategies.
1. Peng Gong, Edward A. Esposito, and *Craig T. Martin. (2004) “Initial bubble collapse plays a key role in the transition to elongation in T7 RNA polymerase.” J Biol Chem 279(43), 44277-44285.
2. Peng Gong and *Craig T. Martin. (2006) “Mechanism of instability in abortive cycling in T7 RNA polymerase.” J Biol Chem 281(33), 23533-23544.
3. #Michael N. Muphy, #Peng Gong, Kenneth Ralto, Laura Manelyte, Nigel J. Savery, and *Karsten Theis. (2009) “An N-terminal clamp restrains the motor domains of the bacterial transcription-repair coupling factor Mfd.” Nucleic Acids Res 37(18), 6042-6053. [pdb entry: 3HJH]
4. Peng Gong and *Olve B. Peersen. (2010) “Structural basis for active site closure by the poliovirus RNA-dependent RNA polymerase.” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107(52), 22505-22510. [pdb entries: 3OL6-3OL9; 3OLA-3OLB]
5. Nina F. Gn？dig, Stéphanie Beaucourt, Grace Campagnola, Antonio V. Bordería, Marta Sanz-Ramos, Peng Gong, Hervé Blanc, Olve B. Peersen, and *Marco Vignuzzi. (2012) “Coxsackievirus B3 mutator strains are attenuated in vivo.” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109(34), E2294-E2303.
6. Guoliang Lu and *Peng Gong. (2013) “Crystal structure of the full-length Japanese encephalitis virus NS5 reveals a conserved methyltransferase-polymerase interface.” PLoS Pathog 9(8): e1003549. Recommended by Faculty of 1000 (http://f1000.com/prime/718078445). [pdb entry: 4K6M]
7. Zengqin Deng, Kathleen Lehmann, Xiaorong Li, Chong Feng, Guoqiang Wang, Qi Zhang, Xiaoxuan Qi, Lin Yu, Wenhai Feng, Wei Wu, Xingliang Zhang, Peng Gong, Ye Tao, Clara Posthuma, Eric Snijder, *Alexander Gorbalenya, and *Zhongzhou Chen. (2014) “Structural basis for the regulatory function of a complex zinc-binding domain in a replicative arterivirus helicase resembling a nonsense-mediated mRNA decay helicase.” Nucleic Acids Res 42(5):3464-77. [pdb entries: 4N0N, 4N0O]
8. Jiqin Wu, Guoliang Lu, Bo Zhang, and *Peng Gong. (2015) “Perturbation in the conserved methyltransferase-polymerase interface of flavivirus NS5 differentially affects polymerase initiation and elongation.” J Virol 89(1):249-61.
9. Bo Shu and *Peng Gong. (2016) “Structural basis of viral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase catalysis and translocation.” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 113(28):E4005-4014. Recommended by Faculty of 1000 (http://f1000.com/prime/726446704). [pdb entries: 5F8G-5F8J; 5F8L-5F8O]
10. Guoliang Lu and *Peng Gong. (2017) “A structural view of the RNA-dependent RNA polymerases from the Flavivirus genus.” Virus Res 234:34-43. [Invited review in the special issue of Viral Polymerases. Editors: Dr. Luis Menéndez Arias and Dr. Raul Andino]
11. Bo Shu and *Peng Gong. (2017) “Uncoupling of catalysis and translocation in the viral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase.” RNA Biol 14(10):1314-1319. [Solicited “Point of View”]
12. #Fengwei Zheng, #Guoliang Lu, Ling Li, *Peng Gong, and *Zishu Pan. (2017) “The uncoupling of protease trans-cleavage and helicase activities in the pestivirus NS3.” J Virol 91(21). pii:e01094-17. [pdb entry: 5WX1]
13. Wenhua Kuang, Huangyu Zhang, Manli Wang, Ning-Yi Zhou, Fei Deng, Hualin Wang, *Peng Gong, and *Zhihong Hu. (2017) “Three conserved regions in baculovirus sulfhydryl oxidase, P33, are critical for enzymatic activity and function.” J Virol 91(23). Pii:e01158-17. Cover stroy. [pdb entry: 5XKI, 5XTN-5XTR]